skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 10/02/21, 12:45AM CDT


A Third Period Rally for Omaha Was Not Enough to Take Down the Buccaneers

DES MOINES, IA. – The Lancers took the trip eastward down I-80 to take on the Des Moines Buccaneers, a team that won both games of the Fall Classic and had a 50 percent power-play percentage.

The game started much like game one of the regular season against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, as the Buccaneers struck early. Just 28 seconds into the opening period, Mitchell Wolfe picked up the feed from Scout Truman to go up 1-0.

It didn’t take long for the Lancers to get that one back as Cade Ahrenholz scored off a pass from Hunter McDonald, tying the game at one goal apiece with 18:34 still remaining in the first period.

The remainder of the opening period was nothing but some minor penalties that both teams killed off, ending the first period with a score of 1-1.

The second period had a hot start as Des Moines came out firing. Tiernan Shoudy scored the go-ahead goal just four minutes into the period, with assists coming from Jack Pasucci and Davis Burnside. That goal was followed up just a few minutes later by Killian Kiecker-Olson growing the Buccaneer’s lead to two goals with 13:23 to go in the middle period.

Omaha seemed a bit down and out heading into the locker room being down 3-1, but that’s not the way they came out for the third.

Just 1:55 into the final period, Cade Ahrenholz netted his second goal of the night off of feeds from Garrett Wright and Michael Cameron, making the score 3-2, and giving the Lancers a bit of an offensive spark to start the final 20 minutes.

The score remained 3-2 until a slashing penalty came up for Kiecker-Olson with 10 minutes to go.

The Lancers then took action. And with 56 seconds remaining in the penalty, Alex Bump netted his second goal of the season to tie the game up, 3-3.

Some very high-intensity hockey ensued for the final nine minutes of play, but nothing came of it, as we headed to overtime tied at three.

Both teams came out into overtime slow and passive. Des Moines had two decent scoring chances early, but outside of that, it was very defensively played by both teams. With about 35 seconds left, it looked like the two teams were just opting for a shootout. But Des Moines was just making sure they got the last shot at winning. Davis Burnside rushed up the bench area side boards and connected a pass to Shoudy, who put a great wrist shot over the blocker of Mason Kucenski, winning the game 4-3 for the Buccaneers.

The Lancers fall to 1-1-1-0 on the season, and Des Moines improves to 3-0-0-0.

The Lancers will be back in action on Friday, October, 8th as they will host the Sioux City Musketeers for their home opener at Ralston Arena. That game can also be followed on Mixlr and HockeyTV.