skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 10/15/21, 11:30PM CDT


Garrett Wright's Offense & Kevin Pasche's Goaltending Was Key in Win Over Waterloo

Omaha, NE. - What was a slow start, ended in offensive spark as the Lancers dismantled the Black Hawks in shootout fashion. 

Right out of the gate, Waterloo seemed to have all the momentum. Racking up shots, hits and possession time in the first half of the period, is what inevitably led to them striking first. A beautiful play setup by Michael LaStarza and Owen Baker left LaStarza in the slot and able to just chip Baker's pass into the opposite side of the net to go up 1-0 with 12:31 to go in the first period. 

Due to the control Waterloo had for the first half of the period, and Omaha picking up a few penalties in the process, they were unable to sneak a puck past Waterloo Goaltender, Jack Williams.

Ending the first period in a 1-0 Waterloo lead. 

The second period was a very evenly matched period. No penalties for either team, six shots a side, and even physicality was matched. The play put on by both teams made it seem like it was definite that Waterloo would get out of the second period up 1-0. But Garrett Wright had other plans. 

With just under two minutes left in the period, Ben Robertson picked up the puck in the neutral zone, hit Michael Cameron with a pass, who launched a pass to the top of Williams' goal crease where Garrett Wright was. He got the shot off, but it seemed like a routine chest save for Williams, until everyone crashed the net. Williams was backed up a bit, leading the puck to trickle through his legs and just over the goal line. And after a lengthy review, the Lancers came out of that tied up 1-1.

That late goal in the second period gave the Lancers some momentum they wanted. Coming out strong to start the third period with offensive pressure, but great saved by Williams silenced Omaha throughout the period. Including the final two minutes of the third period where the puck barely left the Black Hawks' zone. 

Overtime brought excitement, like 3-on-3 hockey always should. But just like the overtime period against Des Moines two weeks back, Omaha did not have control for the first minute or two of the entire period. Kevin Pasche's goaltending was absolutely key to Omaha surviving overtime, as Waterloo won in overtime shots, 4-0. 

The five minute overtime period ended still deadlocked at one goal a side. Leading the Lancers to their first shootout of the season. 

Omaha opted to shoot second, giving Michael LaStarza, the lone Waterloo goal scorer the first shot. He made a nice deke move to sneak one past Pasche to go up 1-0 in the shootout. 

Luck Strickland was the first shooter for Omaha, as he went in with no dekes, just simply picked the lower left corner, and capitalized. Tying the shootout 1-1. 

John Waldron of the Black Hawks and Luke Strickland of the Lancers both got shut down in round two, followed by Gavin O'Connell getting stuffed in the beginning of round three. Giving Garrett Wright the final shot.

Garrett Wright, the single goal scorer for Omaha glided in at medium speed and slipped one by Williams to cap off a 2-1 win for the Lancers. 

This win improved the Lancer's record to 2-2-1-0 on the season, and puts Waterloo's record at 2-3-0-1. 

The Lancers will be back in action on Saturday, October 16th for a 6:05 P.M. puck drop with the Sioux City Musketeers at Ralston Arena. This is a makeup game for the postponed game that was supposed to take place on October 8th. 

If you purchased tickets to the game on the 8th simply bring them with you as they will be accepted. And of course, the game can be caught on MixLR and HockeyTV.