skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 11/05/21, 12:00AM CDT


After A Slow Start, Three Goals In The Second Half Of The Game Secures A Victory For The Lancers.

FARGO, ND. - After falling twice last week to the Tri-City Storm, the Lancers were desperate to get back in the win column entering a two-game weekend series with the Fargo Force. 

Just two weekends ago, the Lancers picked a sweep over the Force, by scores of 4-1 and 4-3.

Fargo came out in the first period firing, putting up 10 shots on goal in the opening 10 minutes of the matchup, resulting in the Force finding the back of the net first. 

Kyle Smolen found himself on a breakaway with Matt Basgall hot on his tail, found the puck on his backhand in the crease and snuck it right past Omaha goaltender, Kevin Pasche's right skate to go up 1-0 with 10:50 to go in the first. 

The first period concluded with Fargo leading on the scoreboard 1-0, and in the shot count, 14-5. 

The second period was a massive turnaround for the Lancers. Still giving up 14 shots in the period, but putting up 12 themselves. 

Pasche's stellar play allowed Omaha's lone second period goal to be the one to tie it up.

Just over the halfway point of the period, Fargo defenseman, Jakob Stender picked up a tripping penalty, which allowed the Lancers power-play to get to work. 

It only took 23 seconds for Owen Fowler to connect with Matt Basgall at the point, leading to a shot through traffic, which Michael Cameron deflected past the glove hand of Fargo's goalie, Anton Castro to knot the game at one goal a side. That goal gave Cameron his third goal of the season.

The rest of the second period resulted in great, back-and-forth hockey, but no pucks in the net, ending the second period in a 1-1 tie. 

The intensity of the Lancers in the second period, carried over into the third as the Lancers came out with all the offensive momentum. 

Strong goaltending by Castro shutdown the Lancers until there was just over eight minutes left in the game. That is when Alex Bump came in on an odd man rush, picked up a feed from his line mate, Frank D'Ancona, toe dragged around the Fargo defense, and found the top, glove-side corner to beat Castro. Bringing the score to 2-1 in favor of the Lancers. 

Omaha kept the offensive pressure for the remainder of the period, but couldn't score again until Castro was pulled with under a minute left in the game. That is when Cam Mitchell sealed the victory with an empty netter off feeds from Garrett and Jared Wright to take the victory 3-1.

The great third period play by the Lancers held Fargo's offense to just three third period shots, after allowing 28 through the first two periods, ending the shot count at 31-29 in favor of Fargo.

This victory improves the Lancers' record to 5-4-2-0, and handed the Force their fifth loss in a row, dropping them to 3-5-1-1 on the season. 

The Lancers will be back at Scheels Arena in Fargo, North Dakota tomorrow night for a 6:05 P.M. puck drop, as the Lancers are looking to improve to 4-0 over the Fargo Force on the season. That game can be caught on MixLR and HockeyTV.