skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 11/13/21, 9:00PM CST


Romer And Fowler Pick Up Multi-Point Nights As Omaha Caps Off A Their Second Sweep In Two Weeks

SIOUX FALLS, SD. – After taking down the Sioux Falls Stampede last night (11/12) in Omaha, the Lancers made the trip north to South Dakota to try to complete their second sweep in as many weeks.

The first period had an interesting start to it. No shots on goal for either team through the first three minutes of play. Even though the Lancers had a power-play just 42 seconds into the matchup, they just couldn’t get the puck by the Sioux Falls penalty kill.

Shortly after getting back to full strength, Blake Humphrey broke the ice in this one, netting his fourth goal of the season, with Garrett Pinoniemi and Daniel Russel picking up assists on a beautiful snapshot goal over the glove of Omaha goaltender, Kevin Pasche to go up 1-0.

It only took 54 seconds for the Lancers to answer, as Alex Bump intercepted a pass in front of the Stampede net to place a quick shot by the right foot of Sioux Falls goaltender, Isak Posch. The goal was a quick shot after retrieving the puck, giving Bump an unassisted goal, and his sixth goal of the season.

The first period concluded locked at one goal apiece.

The second period was all Omaha despite picking up two penalties.

6:59 into the second period, shortly after Cade Ahrenholz picked up a minor for charging, Matt Romer and Owen Fowler found themselves on a 2-on-0 heading in on Stampede goaltender, Isak Posch. Romer met Fowler with a pass down low, then Fowler hit him right back as Posch overcommitted to one side of the net to leave Romer with a tap in goal to take the 2-1 lead while being down a man.

Then, just under 10 minutes later, Owen Fowler picked up a goal on a wrist shot over the blocker of Posch off feeds from Michael Cameron and Romer to take the 3-1 lead with just 3:04 left in the second period.

That goal gave Fowler his third goal in three games, and handed Romer a multi-point night.

Omaha held the Stampede to just four shots on goal through the second frame, and put up 14 themselves, as they headed into the locker room for the intermission with a 3-1 lead.

The third looked as if it was more controlled by Sioux Falls, but it was simply because Omaha was playing a bit more passive, and was just looking to preserve their lead, rather than expand on it.

Through the nine shots he faced, Pasche stopped them all. There was a puck that found the back of the net, but it got called off because Ray Fust yanked Pasche out of his crease to make room for Jack Reimann to bury an open net shot.

Just over 13 minutes into the period, Matt Basgall's blocked shot found Andrew Centrella at the point, Centrella ripped a wrist shot through traffic that hit a leg out front. The bounce allowed the puck to hit the tape of Tanner Rowe perfectly, allowing him to net his first goal of the season, to take a 4-1 lead, which is what the game concluded as.

This win improves the Lancers to 4-0-1-0 in their last five, and 8-4-2-0 on the season. This win dropped Sioux Falls to 4-9-0-0 on the year as they sit at the bottom of the western conference standings.

The Lancers will be back in action Friday, November 19th for a 7:05 P.M. puck drop in Waterloo to take on the Blackhawks. That game can be caught on HockeyTV and Mixlr.