skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 12/03/21, 10:45PM CST


Omaha Held Onto Their Third Period Lead To Take Down The Storm

OMAHA, NE. - The Tri-City Storm came into this matchup looking to get back in the win column after falling in overtime to the Fargo Force just a week prior. But the Lancers had other ideas. 

The Lancers came out firing, putting up eight first period shots and scoring on three of them. 

It started seven minutes in when Luke Strickland picked up a pass from Ryan Gillespie and snuck a short-side shot under the glove of Storm goaltender, Arsenii Sergeev taking the early lead, 1-0. 

Following a major penalty to Aiden Dubinsky for cross checking, Garrett Wright scored his seventh goal of the season off of feeds from Owen Fowler and Matt Basgall. Making it a 2-0 game with 4:46 left in the power-play. 

It took nearly the rest of the man advantage for Jared Wright to knock in his third goal of the season. With feeds from Basgall and Kevin Pasche, he made it 3-0 while still on the power-play. 

The second period really turned the tables after Tri-City took out starting goaltender, Sergeev, and put in backup, Chase Clark. 

Tri-City forwards Tanner Adams and Lleyton Roed cut the lead to 3-2 within the first six minutes of the period. But four minutes later, the Lancers turned the tables right back. 

Jared Wright beat Clark over the blocker to make it a 4-2 game at the halfway point of the period for his second goal of the night, and gave Basgall his third assist of the contest.

Just three minutes later, Frank D'Ancona netted his first goal of the season to make it a 5-2 game with 7:49 left in the middle period. With feeds from Strickland and Gillespie, they pick up multi-point nights.  

The third period ended up being much like the second, it just took Tri-City a bit longer to get going. With 10:50 left in the game, Drew Montgomery scored on the power-play off a one-timer set up by Mitchell Miller and Cole O'Hara. Cutting the lead to 5-3.

That was followed up by Gavin Brindley netting an unassisted goal with just under five minutes to play to make it a 5-4 game. 

It was not until Clark was pulled from Tri-City's net that the Lancers would score again. 

Fowler picked up the puck in his own zone and sent it 160 feet into the empty net to cap off a 6-4 victory for the Lancers.

This win improves Omaha's record to 11-4-2 on the season, moving them up into second place in the western conference standings. 

This game drops Tri-City to 14-3-1 on the season as they still sit in first place in the western conference. 

The Lancers will be back in action tomorrow (12/4) as the Sioux City Musketeers come to town. Puck is set to drop at 6:05 P.M. and the action can be caught on MixLR and HockeyTV.