skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 12/04/21, 10:15PM CST


The Lancers' Seven Game Win Streak Comes To A Close With A Loss To The Musketeers.

OMAHA, NE. - The Lancers found themselves in a similar situation as last week's victory over the Sioux City Musketeers, but this one had a different outcome. 

The game started with Omaha outplaying the Musketeers, as the Lancers outshot the opposition 10-6 through the first 20 minutes. But more shots do not always lead to more goals. 

5:33 into the first, Dylan James picked up a feed from Owen McLaughlin and beat Omaha goaltender, Mason Kucenski over the glove hand to take the early 1-0 lead.

That was quickly countered by Matt Romer finding the back of the net, off an original shot off the post from Owen Fowler, tying the game at a goal apiece with 13:47 left in the opening period.

Four minutes later, James double-dipped for the Musketeers and netted his second goal of the night off a pass from Charlie Schoen making it a 2-1 game. This score took us into the first intermission. 

The second period was dominated by Sioux City, as they outshot the Lancers 10-2. But, they were only able to get one by Kucenski, as Connor Welsh ripped a shot from the high slot, picked up his own rebound off the back boards and found the upper, right-hand corner over Kucenski's blocker. 

That goal made the score 3-1 in favor of Sioux City, which they took into the third period. 

At the halfway point of the third period, James completed a hat trick as he redirected a shot from Leyton Stenman which found the back of the net, making it a 4-1 game. 

That was followed up by Ben Steeves netting his eighth goal of the season, on a short-handed breakaway. Making it a 5-1 lead for Sioux City with 8:20 left to play.

This is when the Lancers' offense took off. 

Cade Ahrenholz whacked in a goal on the power-play with 6:53 left to play, giving Morgan Winters his first assist as an Omaha Lancer. 

Just 17 seconds later, Tanner Rowe took the puck in off the face-off and scored five-hole on Sioux City goaltender, Axel Mangbo, making it a 5-3 game with 6:36 left in the contest. 

That was then followed by Garrett Wright sniping his eighth goal of the year off passes from Cam Mitchell and Jared Wright, making it a 5-4 game with 5:45 left in the game. 

Just six days ago, the Lancers came back form trailing 4-1 in the third, to win in overtime against Sioux City, and it looked like they were about to force overtime from being down 5-1 with 8:20 to play.

The Lancers picked up a few more quality scoring chances with the extra attacker, but could not net another goal, as they fell by a score of 5-4.

This was the Lancer's first regulation loss since October 29th, as they are now 11-5-2-0 on the season, sitting in third place in the western conference standings. 

The Lancers will be back in action on Friday, December 10th for a 7:05PM puck drop with the Tri-City Storm at Ralston Arena. That game can be caught on MixLR and HockeyTV.