skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 01/15/22, 8:45PM CST


A Sharp Start To The Third Period Carried Out A Victory For The Lancers.

SIOUX FALLS, SD. – The Lancers finish up their three-game road trip tonight (1/15) in Sioux Falls to take on the Stampede. Both squads are coming off losses from the night before as the Lancers fell to Sioux City by a score of 7-3, and the Stampede lost to the Lincoln Stars 2-0.

The last time these two teams met was back on December 28th, 2021, which resulted in a 3-2 victory for Sioux Falls fresh out of the holiday break.

Since the holiday break, the Lancers are 3-2-1-0 and looking to get back in the win column once again.

The first period was extremely fast paced. With over nine minutes of uninterrupted hockey to start the game.

The lone first period goal came off the stick of Morgan Winters as he got a feed from Owen Fowler on a play set up by Matt Romer. That goal took us all the way into the first intermission, with the Lancers leading 1-0.

The second period started off with a small burst of offense from the Stampede.

Clint Levens picked up a tripping minor within the first two minutes of the period.

Following his team killing off the penalty, he picked up the puck fresh out of the box and beat Omaha goaltender Tommy Heaney on a forehand to backhand move to tie the game at one goal apiece.

That goal was followed up with two unanswered goals from the Lancers, starting with a goal from Cade Ahrenholz.

Matt Basgall ripped a shot from the blue line, resulting in a save by Stampede goaltender, Isak Posch. But with Garrett Wright getting the second opportunity, and Ahrenholz getting the third, they were able to regain the lead, making it 2-1 with 10:02 left in the second.

The other goal scored came during a Jared Wright penalty.

During the penalty kill, Cam Mitchell pick-pocketed a defenseman down low in the Lancers’ attacking zone and was able to get a pass out to Fowler, who beat Posch short-side and high. Making it a 3-1 game heading into the second intermission.

The third period started off hot for the Lancers, resulting in three goals in just the first seven minutes of play.

Michael Cameron got the ball rolling off a play set up by Mitchell and Basgall, allowing him to go forehand to backhand on Posch to take the 4-1 lead just 1:24 into the period.

Just 1:11 later Tanner Rowe’s line got to work as Vincent Salice picked up a feed from Riley Rosenthal. Salice avoided the defenseman in his passing lane and lined up a nice one-timer for Rowe on the far side. Making it a 5-1 game with more than 17 minutes left to play.

Just over four minutes later, Frank D’Ancona got the same kind of pass from Salice and found the back of the net to make it 6-1. That gave D’Ancona his second goal of the season as he capped off the scoring for the Lancers.

The only other goal scored was by the Stampede as Levens found the back of the net again off a one-timer in the right side face-off circle. Ending the game in a 6-2 victory for Omaha.

The Lancers will be back in action tomorrow afternoon as the Tri-City Storm come to Liberty First Credit Union Arena. Puck drop is set for 4:05PM and that game can be caught on HockeyTV and Mixlr.