skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 01/21/22, 9:45PM CST


14 Shots On Goal Was Not Enough To Pick Up A Win Over Des Moines.

OMAHA, NE. – After a busy three game weekend last week for the Lancers, they came into this matchup with the Des Moines Buccaneers fired up to start off a two-home game weekend. And after going 1-2 in last week’s travel-filled weekend, the Lancers were eager to make their way back into the win column.

The first period was some great back-and-forth hockey.

The Lancers started out strong, forcing a lot of offensive pressure in the opening minutes, then let up a bit for the middle portion as they could not seem to get anything going on the attacking side of the rink.

But they got their offensive momentum back in the final minutes of the opening period as they picked up a few quality scoring chances on the power-play.

The first period concluded in both teams being locked at zero as Kevin Pasche was putting on a show in net for the Lancers, keeping the game tied.

The second period looked a lot like the first period.

The Lancers came out strong and finished strong, but thanks to some phenomenal goaltending from Pasche, the Lancers were able to keep the game tied at zero.

That was, until the Lancers got to work with less than two minutes left to play in the period as Ethan Elias fed the puck to Hunter Mcdonald. McDonald’s shot through traffic got knocked down out front, but found the stick of Morgan Winters. Winters got a quick shot off within a swarm of players and beat Des Moines netminder Remington Keopple short side, taking the 1-0 lead in which they took into the second intermission.

Shots on goal through 40 minutes was 18-12 in favor of the Buccaneers.

The third period brought on a lot more back-and-forth neutral zone hockey, but a defensive mistake in the Lancers’ defensive zone while being down a man triggered the game tying goal.

Cam Mitchell was trying to find Kennedy O’Connor with a breakout pass, but found the stick of Killian Kiecker-Olson instead. Who then ripped a wrist shot over the blocker of Pasche to tie the game 1-1 in the opening minutes of the period.

There was no scoring for either squad until there was just 42 seconds left, when Scout Truman found Paul Davey in the slot, who was then able to go forehand to backhand over the blocker of Pasche once again, taking the lead for the Buccaneers for the first time of the night, making it a 2-1 game.

The Lancers quickly pulled Pasche from the net for the extra attacker, but couldn’t get anything going offensively. Which then led to Truman shooting the puck from 60 feet into the empty net sealing a 3-1 victory for Des Moines.

The Lancers will be back in action tomorrow (1/22) at home to take on the Sioux Falls Stampede. Puck is set to drop at 6:05PM. That game can be caught on HockeyTV and Mixlr.