skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 03/04/22, 11:00PM CST


Omaha Tied For Third Place In The West Following Tonight's Shootout Victory.

OMAHA, NE. – After taking down the Waterloo Black Hawks last Tuesday (3/1), the Lancers were looking to keep that same energy into tonight’s matchup (3/4) against the Sioux Falls Stampede.

The Lancers got dropped 6-1 in their most recent matchup with the Stampede back in Sioux Falls on February 19th on Weiner Dog Night. So, the Lancers were out for revenge.

The opening period was a solid one for the Lancers. Outshooting the opposition 17-7 through the opening 20 minutes of play.

Even through the Lancers found themselves in control, Sioux Falls struck first.

Following a face-off win by Karsen Dorwart, Easton Zueger found the puck on his stick at the blue line. After ripping a shot through traffic, Daniel Russell got a close-range redirect on the shot, allowing the puck to slip through the short-side part of the net on Omaha goaltender, Kevin Pasche. Giving the Stampede a 1-0 lead just under six minutes in.

The Lancers didn’t take long getting that one back as just over two minutes later, Mateo Picozzi let a wrist shot go from the blue line, allowing Jared Wright to redirect it. Sioux Falls goaltender Isak Posch made the original save but gave up a short range rebound. Michael Cameron and Morgan Winters hammered away at the loose puck and finally found the back of the net off the stick of Cameron, tying the game at one goal apiece, with that score standing throughout the remainder of the first period.

The second period brought on a strong showing by the Stampede, outscoring the Lancers 2-1 on the period, and outshooting them 12-10.

6:16 into the period, Karsen Dorwart netted his sixth goal of the season while short-handed as he buried a rebound off a shot from Daniel Russell. Giving Russell and Dorwart multipoint nights, not even halfway through the game.

Omaha wasted no time getting that goal back as they picked up a short-handed goal themselves.

Rosenthal fanned on a shot from the top of the right side face-off circle that Vincent Salice redirected to the short side of the net. Posch was unable to correct himself in time, resulting in the goal that knotted the game, 2-2.

The Stampede kept the scoring going as, just over a minute later, Max Rud ripped a short range shot that was redirected by Sam Harris. Giving the Stampede a power-play goal and giving them that lead that they would take in to the third period.

The third period consisted of sharp back-and-forth play by both teams, resulting in solid goaltending in the process.

The Lancers finally struck again with just 2:30 left in regulation as Ethan Elias hopped in with the offense and carried the puck around the attacking net. He managed to feed the puck out to Chris Hedden at the blue line who immediately moved the puck to the far side point to Cam Mitchell.

Mitchell stick handled a few times and let go on a wrist shot through traffic. The shot ricocheted off a Stampede defenseman’s leg and went five-hole on Isak Posch, forcing overtime as it tied the game, 3-3.

The overtime period was slow paced but lead to a couple offensive bursts for each team. However, in the end, no one ended up finding the back of the net, triggering a shootout.

Stampede forward, Karsen Dorwart was the first shooter, and he beat Pasche five-hole. His other two teammates failed to net any, resulting in only one goal through three rounds for the Stampede.

Omaha however, failed to score on Morgan Winters’ attempt in the first round, but Evan Werner and Michael Cameron scored in rounds two and three to finish off a 4-3 shootout victory for Omaha.

The Lancers now improve to 24-14-4-2 on the year, as they are now tied at 54 total points with the Sioux City Musketeers for third place in the western conference.

The Lancers will hit the road tomorrow (3/5) as they head to Sioux City to take on the Musketeers. Puck drop is at 6:05PM CST. That game can be caught on HockeyTV and Mixlr.