skip navigation


By Nick Blaesser, 03/12/22, 8:30PM CST


Three Unanswered Goals By The Lancers Sealed A Road Victory Over the Black Hawks.

WATERLOO, IA. – The Lancers made the lengthy drive from Lincoln, Nebraska overnight after taking down the Stars by a score of 4-3. And after a hard-fought win, they were looking to keep that momentum going against the Waterloo Black Hawks.

The Lancers took down the Black Hawks back in Omaha on March 1st as that one ended in a great 3-1 victory for the Lancers, giving Head Coach Rob Rassey his first victory with the organization.

The first period started nicely for Omaha as they struck first just 3:55 in. After a faceoff win, Michael Cameron picked up a loose puck below the goal line and found Morgan Winters out front with pass. Winters managed to get the one-timer off, which looked like it resulted in a blocker save by Waterloo goaltender, Jakub Tichy. But, following contact with his blocker, the puck fluttered over his shoulder and into the back of the net, giving the Lancers an early 1-0 lead.

Waterloo knotted things up at one goal a side just five minutes later as Ray Fust redirected shot from the point from Garrett Schifsky that went five-hole on Omaha netminder, Tommy Heaney. Former Lancer, Ben Robertson picked up the secondary assist on that one.

That was followed up later in the period as Mason McCormick buried a rebound off a shot from Patrick Geary to take the 2-1 lead with 4:26 remaining in the period. A lead in which they took into the first intermission.

Tommy Heaney played a great first period with making 14 saves on 16 shots.

The second period was a much better one for Omaha, outshooting the Black Hawks 10-9.

Although it was still an evenly matched period, the Lancers were the only ones to net one in the second.

A clean faceoff win by Cam Mitchell got the puck back to Evan Werner who was stationed ten feet above the left wing position and sent a quick wrist shot over the blocker of Tichy to tie the game 2-2 with the majority of the second left to play.

The two squads took that tie into the second intermission setting up what should be an exciting third period of play.

The third period was dominated by the Lancers with scoring three goals and putting up double-digit shots once again on Tichy.

The scoring began 9:45 into the period as Morgan Winters got a stellar redirect on a shot from Chris Hedden at the point, giving Winters his second goal of the night and his 12th of the season. Michael Cameron picked up the secondary assist on that one to give him a multi-point night as well.

That goal made it a 3-2 game and it ended up being the game-winner.

Just 60 seconds later, Evan Werner found his second goal of the evening on a wrist shot from the right side faceoff dot that he blew by the blocker of Tichy to extend the lead to 4-2.

Riley Rosenthal and Cam Mitchell moved the puck quickly from end-to-end and left it for Werner to finish the job. And that he did.

After Waterloo failed to score with an empty net on their end while on the power-play, Mitchell picked up a loose puck and carried it deep in the attacking zone where he sealed the victory with an empty net goal, making it a 5-2 win for Omaha.

The Lancers will be back in action tomorrow afternoon at Liberty First Credit Union Arena for a 4:05PM CST puck drop with the Waterloo Black Hawks once again. That game can be caught on HockeyTV and Mixlr.